Barclays Bank’s investments in UK fracking and other controversial fossil fuel projects have put it at the centre of recent protest.
On Wednesday 10th May – during the Global Divestment Mobilisation – Barclays investors will be meeting in London for their Annual General Meeting. It’s one of the most important moments in the company’s financial calendar, and a crucial time to take action.
As the battle against fracking in the UK intensifies, Barclays 97% ownership of fracking company Third Energy has put them in the hot seat. A #StopBarclaysFracking week of action in October saw 100 actions targeting the bank in a single week, with ongoing pressure from around the country.
Barclays is the UK’s biggest bank backing fossil fuel extraction globally, with over $65 billion invested in new fossil fuel infrastructure. If we’re serious about preventing catastrophic warming we can’t dig any new coal mines, drill any new fields, build any more pipelines.
As more and more banks line up to drop controversial projects, it’s clear that Barclays could ditch fracking and the Dakota Access Pipeline in the US if it felt the heat.
The Annual General Meeting (AGM) is when all media and investor eyes will be on Barclays. It’s also during the Global Divestment Mobilisation, when people around the world will be taking action to highlight the impacts of climate change, fossil fuel extraction and the moral urgency of divestment.
Join us for the Global Divestment Mobilisation to take action on Barclays:
- We’ll be outside the AGM with frontline communities from Ryedale and powerful messages and images from Standing Rock to send a clear message to Barclays shareholders as they go in. Join the demo.
- We’ve also got shareholders inside pressing management on their investments in fossil fuel projects that are wrecking the climate and communities. Follow #DivestBarclays for updates.
- Or take action at a Barclays branch near you!
There are some inspiring action ideas, and resources including flyers, posters and letters to the bank.
- Student Action Guide from People & Planet
- Leaflet to handout, from People & Planet
- Leaflet from Friends of the Earth
- Poster from Friends of the Earth
- Friends of the Earth Action Guide
- Template letter to the bank
Make sure to register your event on the Global Divestment Map to receive support and promotion
Our high street banks shouldn’t be funding projects that undermine our future. On 10th May join others around the country to #DivestBarclays and #StopBarclaysFracking.