FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO FEBRUARY 18th at MIDNIGHT.
The 2016 Fossil Free Fellowship will provide extensive training and support to a diverse group of 24 campus fossil fuel divestment campaigners for 10 weeks this summer. Fellows gain hands-on experience in climate and justice-based organizing by working on projects across the U.S. with 350.org and partner organizations, and access to trainings rooted in deep political education on how the climate movement must work with other justice movements.
New this year, six mentors will support their peers throughout the program.
- Spend your summer from June 10 — August 15 organizing to fight climate change and for social change
- Fellowship kicks off with a fun and intensive week-long training with 350.org staff and partners
- Connect with other student leaders from across the country
- Participate in webinars and conversations with your class to continue building fundamental organizing skills
- Get paid to work on awesome projects (20hrs/week) with 350.org and local organizations
WE AIM FOR FELLOWS TO:
- Plan and implement an action/project
- Create content for new and traditional sources of media
- Have opportunities for grassroots organizing experience
- Work with a team
- Build relationship with a strong summer mentor
- Organize with a justice-based framework (we aim to embody the Jemez Principles for Democratic Organizing)
Above all, we’re working to provide all fellows with a productive, inspiring, and unforgettable summer opportunity!
WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Current undergraduates and recent alums in the U.S. and Canada who will be organizing on campus in the fall
- Involved in campus fossil fuel divestment organizing
- Commitment to working on climate issues
- Commitment to building a climate movement that is building strategic power with other movements and issues
- Show deep interest/humbleness in working with communities outside of the campus context
- Accountability for your work and project, excitement to take a project and run with it while also respecting leadership from those who you work with.
- Excitement to build skills, understanding and capacity to become a stronger organizer
- Passion for connecting and supporting the development of a long-term strategic divestment movement through mentorship and relationship building.
- Deadline to apply for the fellowship: February 15, 2016. If you have questions about the fellowship, please contact River Beck at email@example.com.
- Mentorship application period is closed: If you’re interested in being a mentor, email Becca Rast at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT PREVIOUS FELLOWS ARE SAYING:
– Es Topolarova (2015), 350Maine. For more from Es, see “7 pieces of organizing I learned as a Fossil Free Fellow with 350Maine.”
“The Fossil Free Fellowship was one of the best decisions I’ve made. Being a fellow brought me into community with other strong, determined organizers and allowed me to find my own role in this fight. It gave me hope, and taught me lessons that will carry me through organizing for climate justice for the long haul.” – Lex Barlowe (2014), 350.org and Movement Generation, Oakland, CA
“Not only is the experience and actual fellowship really fun (you get to work with awesome people and do rad organizing), the intensive training and skills based learning is invaluable. I was able to strengthen my political understanding, improve facilitation and training skills, work on project outreach, and practice models of organizing democratic teams.” – Michaela Steiner (2014), Local Control Colorado, Boulder, CO
“The fellowship really helped to hone some of the organizing skills I had learned from working on divestment and apply them to other issues. From exercising my creative muscles in putting together some anti-tar sands street theater to upping my phone conference game, I grew as an organizer with invaluable off-campus experience. Plus I connected with fabulous people from across the country!” -Miles Goodrich (2014), 350.org tar sands campaign, Portland, ME
If you have questions about the fellowship, please contact River Beck at email@example.com.