350.org (UK) is recruiting and skilling up new volunteer trainers to build on the exciting political momentum for climate action generated by the Divest Parliament Campaign.
Over 130 former and current cross-party MPs (including party leaders Jeremy Corbyn – Labour, Caroline Lucas – Greens, Vince Cable – Libs Dems, Liz Saville Roberts – Plaid Cymru and Ian Blackford – SNP) have signed the Divest Parliament Pledge calling on the MPs Pension Fund to divest from fossil fuel companies. We are looking to double this number in 2018!
We will train 5-10 new trainers to deliver Divest Parliament workshops that will catalyse the formation of new constituency groups to put pressure on target MPs throughout the UK.
We are looking for passionate people from across the UK with a desire to learn how to deliver training workshops. We would like the training team to reflect the demographic diversity of society and particularly welcome applications from people currently underrepresented in the environment movement including black and minority ethnic people; disabled people; LGBTQI+ people and; people from a working class background.
What will a Divest Parliament Trainer be required to do?
- Be available to attend a Train the Trainers Weekender on 23-25th March in Staffordshire (all food, accommodation and travel will be paid for).
- This weekender will cover:
- An introduction to the Divest Parliament Campaign
- Provision of the skills, content and confidence to deliver the Divest Parliament Workshop – which focuses on effective lobbying and building relationships with MPs
- Integrate you into a network of support for delivering workshops in target constituencies
- The opportunity to participate in parts of the Fossil Free UK Gathering that is occuring in the same venue over this weekend.
- Deliver at least two Divest Parliament Workshops (maximum 1/2 day) in target constituencies between April and June 2018 in the region you are based e.g. North East England (all food, accommodation and travel will be paid for).
- Share experiences and develop best practice for delivering the workshops
Presently, this pilot program ends in June 2018 but we hope it will be able to continue to develop based on the interest of this first pool of trainers.
If you are passionate about campaigning and training, this opportunity is for you. However, we require the following attributes:
- A person who enjoys working with people and who is excited to support and develop both their own and others’ learning
- Someone who relishes a challenge
- A passion for empowering people to effectively campaign on climate change issues such as fossil fuel divestment
- Some experience of teaching or skills sharing in a grassroots/community setting(s)
- Experience of lobbying MPs or engaging elected representatives in a campaigning context
How to apply
As part of the form, you will be asked to explain why you want to become a 350.org trainer and how you meet the required and desired experiences (max 250 words).
Successful applicants will be notified by 5pm on February 23rd and be required to attend the training weekender on 23-25th March in Staffordshire as part of the Fossil Free UK Gathering. All food, accommodation and travel for the weekender and subsequent workshops delivered will be covered by Divest Parliament.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about becoming a 350.org (UK) trainer.